10 June 2009

VIEW: Who says packaging doesn't help sell products?
Even graphic designers themselves fall prey! I know it every time I'm drawn to purchasing something I most likely don't need. Take, for example, the following...

Orange seltzer is not an item I would normally buy on a grocery trip. But don't you know, this one, from
Boylan Bottling Co. practically jumped off of the shelf at me. I'm a sucker for well-done retro-style anything, so in the cart it went. I thought, 'Even if I don't drink it, I would still like to stare at the package.' (The seltzer's actually quite tasty, living up to its great packaging and label, and their website kicks ass, too.)















Boylan's packaging (for all of their products) supports their brand story. Just by looking at their packaging, one can tell the company has a deep history and a sense of fun. Their designer distilled their story into a visual representation of their brand.


On the same trip, I also grabbed some
Twist Sponge Cloths. Did I need them? Probably not, but their packaging and presentation was just so nice that I didn't want to leave without them. (Of course, I use them all the time now since I'm trying to break the paper towel addiction in my house.)




















A consumer knows when they look at Twist's line of products on the shelf that the brand is about making a mundane activity more enjoyable while also conserving resources.


So what's the point of this grocery shopping recap? The point is:

Thoughtful label/package design (and this includes hang-tags and boxes, too) promotes your already-great product.

Would I have tried the orange seltzer had it not been for the Boylan's package? No.


Would I have thought that Twist's European sponge cloth was the solution to my dirty kitchen counters? Nope.


When launching your brand, don't blow it by rushing through the planning and design process for your support materials. Hire a design firm that will take the time to understand your brand and it's story before crafting solutions.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

TwitThis

posted by Studio 22 @ 2:39 PM   0 Comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home